10.01.2009

"Books for research? What does that mean?"

I've realized this week just how dependent we (as in, the world) are on our computers and the Internet. "Books for research? What does that mean?" And you think I'm kidding when I quote that...


Almost two weeks ago, my very old - trooper - laptop decided to crash. It basically just signed off and I lost music, some unfinished lyrics, photos, etc. While it was a frustratingly sad situation for a few hours, I moved on, and realized that laptop shopping was in my future. However, without a computer, I had no way to research. So I resulted in referrals, suggestions, opinions, and waking up at 6 am to truck it downtown in order to use the Internet at my mother's office. After mass confusion, conflicting ideas from people I knew, and much decision weighing, I settled on a Mac. I'm in pure adoration of it. I'm so fascinated with the dictionary/thesaurus program that is word knowledge at my fingertips. I own a Mac, with all of its fascinating components, and what do I choose to rave about? The dictionary program. I really don't think people quite understand my obsession with words.

It truly is amazing just how much of our lives we invest in computers. I was speaking with a law intern the other day who was doing research on a case. As she approached, I saw that she was carrying four rather large books, definitely legal books. The first thing she said to me was "I don't even know where to start! I haven't looked anything up in a book for over four years." Her statement got me thinking - do we really disregard books like that? Is it such a challenge to go and pick up a tangible object, scroll through pages, and read the information that is printed? With the speed of the Internet, search engines stacked with random facts and ideas, and a keyboard at our reach at any time, it seems to be the easiest way. But isn't it also the easy way out? Sure, I am a google-r, I admit it. And the Internet is so useful in so many ways. But when we start talking about Kindles? Seriously, people. What is so hard about carrying a 4 inch tall book with you? I really just don't comprehend that idea.

While I was computer-less, I spent my nights reading actual books. I got invested in two separate series, and it turns out that yes, I am reading them both at the same time. I guess the positive thing to this computer episode is that I was able to rediscover my joy of reading. I'm diligently looking to find the positive aspects in situations, so I'm sticking to the belief that books - actual books - are my silver lining here.

Also: 7th row NBA tickets valued at $154 each? I won two! Good times.

{image credit}

1 comment:

  1. How how how did you win those tickets? I don't even like sports and I am jealous.
    Also, I WILL NEVER ABANDON BOOKS! *launches self at lonely nearby novel* I love you for thinking the same way. :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts!