Until today, I had never heard of the Turkey Vulture, nor did I know such a bird existed. It was only when my grandmother freaked out that I noticed we weren't looking at an ordinary turkey. There, bobbing for worms on my neighbor's lawn, was this giant black and grey bird sporting talons. Unfortunately as I ran to get my camera, our weird "turkey" creature proceeded to awkwardly waddle/hop (I kid you not) down the middle of the road and out of sight. After some research at work, the invader was identified as a juvenile.
To educate yourself on the Turkey Vulture, click here.
It's quite fascinating, really.
"Don't go outside! It will flap its wings and kill you!"
Um, thanks Grams. Wasn't planning on it...

I love the awkward waddle/hop of birds of prey. I maintain it is the funniest thing ever to be seen in this world, especially with their little scowling faces. Just thinking about it sends me into raging giggles. :D
ReplyDeleteInteresting things always happen on your street. All we get on my street are the Satan worshippers coming up from a hard night's seance in the gully and the masses of dog walkers in their tie-dye tank tops and expensive running sneakers and green water bottles. And of course the stoner with a motorcycle that lives at the corner on the other side of the street. He has a band. Dear heavens. Come to think of it...all that's pretty interesting too, but I wouldn't want to take a picture of it.