You know when you've made a decision, but then change it last second on a whim? And then said new decision turns out to be exactly what you needed at the time? Allow me to introduce you to my night of wonder.
Tonight, I had planned on heading home the usual way. When I was less than 5 minutes from my house, I changed my mind, and decided to drive a little farther to a secret place that I've loved since high school. This secret place is also connected to a secret road that links to my neighborhood. Due to the ten minutes I added to my commute, I arrived on my street just in time to see a deer standing on a rock. To most, this would not be a monumental moment, but anyone who knows me well is aware of my love for deer, and animals in general. I see them all the time in my backyard, but they never fail to amaze me. My mood is instantly brightened every time.
A few minutes later, I pulled my car into the garage. As I was turning off the stereo, I hit the AM button and heard a friend of mine talking on the radio! I have no idea why she was on 1320 KFAN (sports radio), but there she was, discussing Nashville and Vince Gill. I sat in my car and listened to her play "Me And Charlie Talking," and realized just how sad I am that she is leaving Utah and relocating to Nashville next week. During her on air interview, she talked about finding what makes you happy and going for it, and that no matter your circumstances, you can choose to be happy. In all honesty, every word she said was exactly what I needed to hear this week. She's so insightful, and definitely the type of person you can talk to about important things in life. We've spent time songwriting together, and talking until 2 in the morning with guitars in hand. She just gets "it," and I'm going to miss her.
Taking a small driving detour allowed me to get some answers I've desperately needed. I'm so grateful for the little unexpected moments that are given to us for a reason. They truly are perfect.
Too often we forget the simple things that make life truly beautiful, and more often than not we don't take the time to reflect on what these things are. I'm glad you had that experience which gave you that reminder! Sometime down the road have you thought of going to visit your friend in Nashville? I know change can be difficult and sometimes the things we think we want changed are not always positive. I would advise you to take life one day at a time and continue looking for the simple beauty in life!
ReplyDelete